How to get help.
We understand that lots of people are struggling to access food during the Coronavirus pandemic due to self-isolation. If you are in this situation, please visit Kirklees support for advice on the support available to you.
If you are in financial crisis, and cannot afford to buy food and toiletries, The Welcome Centre can help you.
Step 1 - Get a referral
To get help from The Welcome Centre, you need a referral from a support worker or support professional. There are a few simple ways to do this.
- If you already receive support from a service or professional, you can ask them to make a referral for you. This could be your GP, social worker, community psychiatric nurse or an agency such as housing services, Lifeline or Connexions.
- You can telephone Kirklees Local Welfare Provision Team (LWP) on 01484 414782. If you don't have a phone to call LWP, there's a free phone at the Customer Services reception, Civic Centre III, High Street, Huddersfield.
- You can telephone Kirklees Citizens Advice & Law Centre between 9:30 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday on 03448487970 and they can refer you.
- You can telephone Huddersfield Mission between 10:00 am and 1:30 pm Monday to Friday on 01484 421461 and they can refer you.
Step 2 - We'll need some information
- To receive a support pack we'll need to ask your referrer some questions about why you need our support.
- We know this can be a difficult time but we are here to help. Providing us with the information we need makes the process quicker.
- We'll ask about your dietary needs, how many people are in your family and what cooking facilities you have. We can make your packs right for your needs.
- If you have allergies or don't like something please let us know.
Step 3 -Packs will be delivered
- Your pack will be delivered to your home between 10 am and 5 pm the day after you receive your referral. (Monday to Friday only)
- Alternatively, your referrer may be able to collect your pack from the Centre and deliver it to you on the same day you receive your referral; please speak to your referrer if you would like to arrange this.
The Welcome Centre is closed from Friday 2nd April - Monday 5th April. All phone referrals received by 4 pm Wednesday 31st March will be delivered on Thurs 1st April
- All phone referrals received on Thursday 1st April will not be delivered until Tuesday 6th April.
- All recurring referrals that would normally be delivered on Friday 2nd and Monday 5th April will be delivered on Tuesday 6th April
- From Tuesday 6th onward, our delivery service will be back to normal, and all food packs will be delivered the next working day
Step 4 - Need some additional support?
- If you would like to speak to someone about further support, then please contact Cath on 01484 515086 or 07947 589146. Alternatively, email [email protected]
- Cath can help you to access the support you need by signpost you to specialist services or by making a referral to services that work with you to tackle the issues affecting your finance.
- Frequently asked questions
- What happens if I'm not in when my package is delivered?
- If you're not at home, we will call you on the contact number provided by your referrer, as we may be able to arrange a redelivery the same day, to an alternative address, or to leave your pack in a safe place or with a neighbour. Alternatively, we will attempt redelivery of your pack the following day. If we are unable to deliver for 2 consecutive days, we will have to cancel your pack.
- Do I get an allocated time?
- We are unable to guarantee allocated delivery slots. However, if you know you will not be at home at certain times, please ask your referrer to mention this to us, and we will do our best to accommodate your availability. If it is more convenient for you, we can also arrange to leave your pack in a safe place chosen by you, with a neighbour of your choice, or deliver it to an alternative address - if you would like us to do one of these things please tell your referrer so they can let us know.
- Can I collect in person?
- Due to Covid-19 restrictions, our building is currently closed for in-person collections. However, in some circumstances we can make arrangements with your referrer for them to collect on your behalf, please speak to your referrer if you would like to find out more about this option.
- I'm a front line worker - how do I make a referral?
- Simply call our referral line 01484 340034 between Monday to Friday, 10 am - 4 pm.
- Make sure you have a good understanding of why someone needs a referral before you call.
- If you want to become a referrer please get in touch on the number above.
- Do you only help homeless people?
- No. We provide support to anyone in need. Every referral is based on an individual's circumstances.
- How long does a food pack last for?
- A food pack is made to last for seven days. It contains a variety of foods based on an individual's needs and circumstances.