We are no longer accepting clothing donations - but Huddersfield Mission is.
At this time of year, we usually begin taking donations of winter clothing ready for our clients during the colder months. This year, however, we are unable to accept donations of clothing including coats, hats, scarves or gloves. Please see below for answers to your questions.
Why are you not accepting donations of clothing this winter?
There are three main reasons why we are not accepting clothing donations this year at The Welcome Centre.
- We have limited storage space across our two sites but our main focus has to be food and toiletries (alongside a small supply of bedding and kitchen equipment). We are anticipating an increased need for food support over the coming months which means all the space we have we want to use for donations of essentials such as food and toiletries.
- We continue to operate a delivery system for our clients, which means there's a limit to how much we can fit in our vans and deliver each day. This again means we must prioritise food and other more essential items.
- Most of our winter clothes are given out to clients in reception. Clients have a chance to try them on and make sure they fit and are suitable. Our reception remains closed so the demand for our clothing has reduced significantly.
Are you still providing winter coats and gloves to clients?
If a client asks for winter clothing during their referral, we still have a small supply of suitable winter coats, gloves, scarves and hats that we can provide. We'll also be working with our partner and neighbour Huddersfield Mission who will support us with any additional clothing requests our clients have.
I have clothing to donate - where can I donate it?
There are a number of local organisations accepting clothing donations, however we recommend you either visit their website or contact them for further information.
- To donate children's clothing including coats, hats, gloves, scarves, swimwear, shoes, trainers, football boots, sports kits, bags, tights, socks, underwear, please contact Uniform Exchange
- To donate adult winter clothing please contact Huddersfield Mission for where and when you can donate on 01484 421461 or email [email protected]
Will The Welcome Centre accept clothing donations in the future?
We will review this again in the future and update the website and social media where necessary.