Volunteers are at the heart of our charity. Over 100 individuals give a few hours of their time each week.
We have a variety of volunteering roles all of which are vital to our work. So whether you're collecting donations, making up food packs, or greeting clients, we couldn't open the doors each day without volunteers like you.
If you're interested in corporate volunteering see business partnerships or contact [email protected]
Volunteer recruitment is currently closed
We currently have a waiting list for new volunteers and are not accepting new applications. This page will be updated once we reopen recruitment.
Phone referral volunteers
Our phone referral volunteers take incoming referrals for client support from more than 100 local agencies. Phone referral volunteers need to take calls and record the referral information concisely and accurately using our referral software system. This role is based at our Lord Street offices.
- This role requires good verbal and written communication skills, a good phone manner, and computer skills.
- Full training for the role is provided.
- We require a commitment to a regular shift, ideally one morning of afternoon per week, Monday to Friday.
Our general volunteers perform an important and varied role at our Lord Street offices. The main area of work is putting together crisis packs of food, toiletries, and other essential items for our clients, tailored to meet their individual needs. Additional duties include sorting and decanting food, receiving donations from members of the public, and admin tasks. Full training will be provided.
- This role requires attention to detail and the ability to follow instructions.
- The role also involves some light manual handling. Full training is provided.
This is an important role, as our logistics volunteer is responsible for organising all of our food packs ready for delivery. The main area of work is boxing up and labelling packs for delivery, liaising with staff to ensure key messages are passed on to drivers, and client records are updated accurately with delivery information.
- Additional duties include helping with cleaning and liaising with drivers.
- This role requires a lot of manual handling, excellent organisational skills, and the ability to work well independently.
Delivery volunteers and buddies
Our delivery volunteers work in pairs to collect surplus donations from local businesses and transport stock between our warehouse and main office. You would also be an ambassador for The Welcome Centre, when dealing with our corporate food donors. Working in pairs means driving and buddy roles can be alternated as required.
- This role requires a clean driving licence.
- You would need good physical health for lifting and carrying. Full training is provided.
- We require a regular weekly commitment for one morning per week, Monday to Friday.
Our warehouse volunteers receive donations of goods directly from members of the public and other supporters, sorting incoming donations through our stock system, and assist our drivers to load and unload vehicles. This role is based at our warehouse at Queens Mill Industrial Estate, Lockwood.
- This role requires manual handling of stock, and acting as a positive ambassador for The Welcome Centre when interacting with supporters making donations.