Volunteers are at the heart of our charity. Over 100 individuals give a few hours of their time each week.
We have a variety of volunteering roles all of which are vital to our work. So whether you're collecting donations, making up food packs, or greeting clients, we couldn't open the doors each day without volunteers like you.
If you're interested in corporate volunteering see business partnerships or contact [email protected]
Due to our current circumstances, we are not taking new volunteering applications. We've been inundated with offers of support since the outbreak, however, if we do need additional volunteers in the coming weeks we will update this page.
Delivery volunteers and buddies
Our delivery volunteers work in pairs to collect surplus donations from local businesses and transport stock between our warehouse and main office. You would also be an ambassador for The Welcome Centre, when dealing with our corporate food donors. Working in pairs means driving and buddy roles can be alternated as required.
This role requires a clean driving licence.
You would need good physical health for lifting and carrying. Full training is provided.
We require a regular weekly commitment for one morning per week, Monday to Friday.
Phone referral volunteers
Our phone referral volunteers take incoming referrals for client support from more than 100 local agencies. Phone referral volunteers need to take calls and record the referral information concisely and accurately using our referral software system. This role is based at our Lord Street offices.
- This role requires good verbal and written communication skills, a good phone manner, and computer skills.
- Full training for the role is provided.
- We require a commitment to a regular shift, ideally on Monday afternoon, Wednesday afternoon or Friday either morning or afternoon.
Our general volunteers perform an important and varied role at our Lord Street offices. The main area of work is putting together crisis packs of food, toiletries, and other essential items for our clients, tailored to meet their individual needs. Additional duties include sorting and decanting food, receiving donations from members of the public, and admin tasks. Full training will be provided.
- This role requires attention to detail and the ability to follow instructions.
- The role also involves some light manual handling. Full training is provided.
Our warehouse volunteers receive donations of goods directly from members of the public and other supporters, sorting incoming donations through our stock system, and assist our drivers to load and unload vehicles. This role is based at our warehouse at Queens Mill Industrial Estate, Lockwood.
- This role requires manual handling of stock, and acting as a positive ambassador for The Welcome Centre when interacting with supporters making donations.
Our reception volunteers work in our client waiting room, welcoming clients and using our computer and phone systems to book clients in when they arrive to collect food packs. This role is based at our Lord Street offices.
- This role requires a 'people person', good verbal communication skills, and some computer skills. Full training for the role is provided.