The Welcome Centre are entering a team in to this year's Dragon Boat Race and we need YOU!
Taking place on Saturday 11th July at Pugneys Country Park Lake, this event is a fantastic fundraising event hosted by Huddersfield and Wakefield Rotary Clubs.
What does the event involve?
- The Dragon Boat Challenge will consist of each team racing 3 times during the day.
- The final will be between the 6 teams with the best aggregate times, racing head to head to see who is crowned the winner and take the Stuart Wardell Memorial Trophy to keep for one year.
- There will also be a ladies final between the 4 fastest teams consisting of at least 50% ladies.
- Teams are encouraged to dress as outlandishly as possible with a Best Dressed Trophy awarded on the day.
There is lots to see and do on the day and whether you are a team member or have come along to support a team or charity, you are going to have a great time.
All team members must be 16 years of age or over.
Racing will commence around 10.00 am and continue throughout the day to finish between 4.00 and 5.00 pm Each team will race three times against the clock. The finalists will be determined by using each teams fastest time. Depending on the final number of teams competing, the heats will be between 2 or 3, boats, and the Grand Final will consist of 6 boats.
The 250 metre (approx) course will start near the South bank of the lake, and will finish in front of the Clubhouse. Teams will board their boat from the pontoon in front of the Clubhouse. They will paddle up the West side of the lake to the start line. After each race, the team will disembark at the pontoon.
- It is a condition of entry to this event that each team member raises a minimum of £50.00 personal sponsorship, with a Team target of £1000.00
- Sponsorship money will be split 75/25 between your The Welcome Centre and Rotary Charities.
- All money raised by sponsorship will be given to Charities, and NONE will be used for administration of the event, or any other purpose.
- ALL Sponsorship money raised by team members must be sent IN FULL, TO THE EVENT TREASURER and NOT direct to the chosen Charity. THIS IS A CONDITION OF ENTRY AND CANNOT BE VARIED.
Your responsibility as a paddler is to have fun, have a great day out, but also to contribute to the funds raised to support the many local and National charities. Obviously, each team tries to raise as much as they can for their nominated charity and the Rotary Charities this event supports. Your target is to generate at least £50 towards that aim.