As of Monday 1st November, The Welcome Centre will be reopening to the public for the first time since March 2020.
Since the pandemic began, The Welcome Centre has been closed to the public and we have been operating a home delivery service for our foodbank clients. Clients and referral agencies have been unable to visit our centre due to restrictions and for the safety of all those involved, however, as of 1st November that will change.
If you are a food bank client, referral agency or donor there are some changes that may affect you, so please read below to find out more.
I am a foodbank client
From the 1st of November, you will be able to collect your food packs in person from our Lord Street office in Huddersfield on the day you are referred.
- You can collect your food pack from our Lord Street office 1 hour after your referral has been made. Packs will be available Monday to Friday between 10 am and 4 pm
- In a small number of circumstances, you may be eligible for home delivery. If you are eligible your pack will be delivered to your home or delivery address the next working day. Referrals taken on a Friday will be delivered on a Monday. Please speak to your referral agency about this
All packs must come via a referral. We do not take walk-in requests at our centre. If you need a referral please see here for more information
I am a referral agency
Our Advice, Guidance and Support team have emailed out an outline of the new information we need when making a referral. If you have not yet received this information or need a reminder then please contact our Advice team here
- Referrers are able to collect packs on behalf of clients from our Lord Street centre between 10 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday. Packs will be ready 1 hour after the referral has been made
- Clients can collect their own packs from our Lord Street centre between 10 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday. Packs will be ready 2 hours after the referral has been made
As of 1st November, we will no longer be offering 100% of our clients a home delivery so please ensure your clients are aware of this change to our service
I am a donor
When our Lord Street centre reopens, we will not be accepting donations of food or goods at this office. The main centre is now managing both collection and delivery, which means we now have less storage than before.
- All donations of food and goods should be taken to our warehouse at Unit 10-11 Queens Mill Industrial Estate, Queens Mill Road, Lockwood, HD1 3RR between 10 am and 1.15 pm Monday to Friday. Alternatively, you can take them to our local collection points listed here
- Donations of money and fresh fruit and veg can be delivered to our Lord Street office between 10 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday
We regret that any donations of food and goods taken to our Lord Street centre will be redirected. If you are unable to get to our warehouse with a large donation during our opening times, please contact us and we will see what we can do.
Frequently asked questions
My referral was made today but I can't collect it today. When can I collect it?
- The Welcome Centre provides crisis packs therefore all packs should be collected on the day of the referral. If there are circumstances that mean this is not possible, please let your referrer know so that your pack can be made up the following day.
My pack is due to be delivered but I won't be in, can I now collect it?
- Packs that are eligible for delivery will be loaded from 9 am on the day of your delivery. If you know you will not be in please get in touch on 01484 340034 and we can make alternative arrangements. We will call you on the contact number provided by your referrer, as we may be able to arrange a redelivery the same day, to an alternative address, or to leave your pack in a safe place or with a neighbour. Alternatively, we will attempt redelivery of your pack the following day. If we are unable to deliver for 2 consecutive days, we will have to cancel your pack.
My pack was due for collection, but I can't get into town, can it now be delivered?
- Packs that are due for collection can not be changed to delivery unless there are exceptional circumstances. Please contact your referrer.
My referral was made a few days ago but I haven't collected it. Will it still be available?
- As we provide a crisis service, packs should be collected on the day of the referral. Packs that are not collected within 48 hours will no longer be available. Please speak to your referrer to make a new referral.
I am eligible for delivery, can I have an allocated time?
- Packs will be delivered between 10 am and 4 pm, we are unable to give an allocated time slot. However, if you know you will not be at home at certain times, please ask your referrer to mention this to us, and we will do our best to accommodate your availability. If it is more convenient for you, we can also arrange to leave your pack in a safe place chosen by you, with a neighbour of your choice, or deliver it to an alternative address - if you would like us to do one of these things please tell your referrer so they can let us know.
Why am I not eligible for delivery?
- We are no longer able to deliver to 100% of our clients and have reopened our centre for clients to collect their own packs. We are trying to ensure that those who may struggle to collect or are most vulnerable receive our delivery service.
I've referred a client but I don't know if they want delivery or collection. What will happen?
- Any referrals taken without this information will be for collection only.